Scaling And Root Planning
After having the scaling and root planning treatment, follow the given points for healing quickly:
- Avoid eating anything for a couple of hours post-surgery
- For the first 2-3 days, eat only soft foods until you are comfortable to chew. Chew only on the other side of the surgical area.
- If you can eat comfortable but sense a little numbness, beware of biting your tongue or cheeks
- Stay away from spicy or hot foods and alcohol until the gums are back to normal
- Prevent consuming tobacco products for 72 hours after the surgery or else the healing will be slow
- Remember to take pain medicines, if we gave you anesthetic, to fend off any pain or irritation. Although there will be some discomfort for a few days after the surgery
- Apply an ice pack for alternating 20 minutes, after six hours of surgery
- After first 24 hours, reduce the swelling or discomfort by rinsing your mouth gently using a warm salt solution, thrice a day. Mix one teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water.
- Brush the surgical area lightly in the first night. It would be better to rinse the toothbrush under warm water to make the bristles softer.
- The subsequent day, floss lightly and gradually go back to your home care in the next week. Slight bleeding will be normal for few days while flossing and brushing the treated area.
- Floss and brush the unaffected areas normally
- Brushing with desensitizing toothpaste will be helpful. If we prescribe a mouth rinse, follow its directions while using it.
- Avoid mouthwashes containing alcohol
- If the swelling and discomfort does not end even after 3-4 days, call us at out clininc
- Freely contact us in case of queries
Scaling & Root Planing